Monday, April 9, 2012

*MEET THE DENTIST!* Dr. James E. Smith


Meet Dr. James Smith from our New Albany office!

Doctor's Full Name: 
James Edward Terrell Smith

Hometown: 

Georgetown, KY

Undergraduate College: 

Centre College, Danville KY

Dental School: 

University of Louisville (GO CARDS!)

Family: 

Wife Danielle (Pediatric Dentist @ Kid's Dentristee New Albany); two beautiful daughters: Evelyn 4, Maddie 19 months

Pets: 
1 dog named Mia (also a girl - I'm totally outnumbered in my house!)

Favorite Toothpaste: 

Colgate

Manual or Power Brush? 

Power (Sonicare!)

Food: 

Anything beef 

Favorite Vacation Spot: 

Hilton Head Island

Favorite Hobbies:

Yard work, spending time on the lake, snow skiing when I can and of course hanging out with my girls

Funniest/Most Memorable and/or Most Interesting Moment Experienced in Dentistry:

I often think back on dental school and what an amazing experience that was.  Our awesome patients would have 3 hour appointments during which they MAY get their teeth cleaned - what saints!  We couldn't have done it without them.  I also feel very fortunate to be a part of the improvement of someone's life - from getting them out of pain to fixing their smile and giving them a reason to lift their chin and smile again.  In New Albany, we strive to get a laugh and a smile out of everybody even if they're not having the best day.  

Anything else you'd like for your patients to know about you!

Many people are surprised that this homegrown Kentucky boy can speak Spanish.  I started learning as a freshman in high school, kept it up in college and finally earned a Bachelors in Spanish from Centre.  After college and before starting dental school, I spent 3 months in southern Spain to get the full language experience.  Learning a foreign language and studying different cultures was one of my most rewarding educational experiences!